Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fairy Tales

Fairy tales weren't always delivered to be in book form. Mostly the fairy tales I experienced were the ones that were made into movies by Disney. I do however remember studying different versions of the same fairy tale in school at certain points and I remember thinking how gruesome some of them get. I personally liked the versions that most young Americans hear because of the fact that they aren't as graphic or violent as others. I felt like the other versions from other cultures were more of a scare tactic than anything else. The ones that we hear in America tend to be more just cautionary tales and I think that this is better because it allows for choices to be made intelligently as opposed to choices made out of fear.

I feel that fairy tales aren't necessarily just fairy tales though. What I mean by this is that I feel that fairy tales are more like guidelines for longer stories. A lot of novels tend to have one or two things that were taken from fairy tales and I think that this says a lot about fairy tales. If they can become skeletons, so to speak of novels, then they aren't only good for children, but also good for adults.

One of the tales that I remember most from my childhood is probably Peter Pan. I was always the kid that never wanted to grow up. I think I remember this one most vividly because of that fact that now I try to do little things to remind myself that I need to have fun and actually take a break from responsibility every now and then to enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment