Saturday, January 16, 2010

Copper Sun

Copper Sun was a very eye opening book, but at the same time I didn't really feel surprised, if that even makes any sense. I guess what I mean by that is the fact that there were things in the book that I didn't know about, but I just wasn't surprised that those things actually happened. One of the things that really surprised me was the amount of interracial sex that went on. I had always thought that it was something so frowned upon that it would never have happened back then. I suppose I should have realized that just because certain subjects were tabooed didn't mean that those particular things never happened. The book did have it's moments where it moved me and made me feel something which is something that I value very highly in a book, but it didn't really hold my attention all that well. Even though it did show a different side of what we're normally shown about slavery, I felt that the subject is one that I've heard so much about that I was turned off by the initial subject matter. However, I still feel like it was a good book, and had it been something that I hadn't heard so much about I feel like it would have held my attention better.

No comments:

Post a Comment